In Zekr context, a language pack is a small .xml file which consists of translations of phrases and expressions used in the application, in a target language. All language packs are located on
[zekr installation folder]/res/lang
and there is nothing to in order to add a new language pack, but just to copy related XML file there under res/lang directory.
HOWTO create/update a langauge pack
As of Zekr 0.1.0, one can easily set the user interface language in his/her own language.
Although this is quite easy to write a language pack, there are some tips that translators should take into consideration. The following are some tips about it:
- Specify direction (rtl or ltr); Arabic-like languages (e.g. Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Pashto, etc.) are written right to left (rtl) unlike Roman languages (e.g. English, French, etc.) which are left to right (ltr).
- Specify your language ID and your country (e.g. "en" as language ID and "US" as the country). The latter should be written in capital letters. Here is a good document about languages/countries code.
- By default Zekr takes the first character of a menu name / menu item as a keyboard shortcut to access the menu / menu item. If you want to change this behaviour and want to put another keyboard character as a shortcut prepend the character with &. File becomes p.e. F&ile if you want to use the 'i' on your keyboard to access the File menu
- Use UTF-8 compliant editors. Some good editors are: Notepad, SCUniPad, Frontpage, KWrite, Nodepad++, SuperEdi, etc.
- If you already have a language pack, new terms are put into your language pack and highlighted with 3 spaces after value attribute and before closing the tag. By default the English meaning is put for all language packs when a new word is added. Here is an example:
<text id="QUESTION" value="Question" />
- The latest English language pack, as well as other language packs are here. You can upload your own language pack if you are a member of the group.
HOWTO remove a language pack
Removing unnecessary language packs speeds up startup time. To remove a language pack, first make sure that you do not select the language pack as default (Tools > Options > General > Language). After that, quit Zekr and remove the XML file from [zekr installation]/res/lang.
Zekr language packs
Zekr has over 20 language packs. In order to check them, after downloading and installing Zekr, find the corresponding XML files in [zekr installation]/res/lang.